My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
literaturelyspeaking.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Featured Author- Patricia Neely-Dorsey

In the next week or so I will be reviewing a book of poems ( my first). Until the book comes in I will leave you with a picture of the cover, a blurb about the book & its author and a poem from the book. The poem is called Southern Life. It is a beautiful poem that takes me back to my wonderful childhood. I have always loved living in the South, it becomes a part of you, and I never want that part to go away.





Patricia Neely Dorsey's Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems is "a true celebration of the south and things southern." The author states , "There are so many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. In my book, using childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams, I attempt to give a positive glimpse into the southern way of life. In my book I try to show that there is much is more to Mississippi and the south than all of the negatives usually portrayed .I invite readers to Meet Mississippi (and the south) Through Poetry ,Prose and The Written Word."




SOUTHERN LIFE



If you want a glimpse of Southern life,

Come close and walk with me;

I'll tell you all the simple things,

That you are sure to see.

You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,

Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees,

Caterpillars on the step,

Wooden porches cleanly swept;

Watermelons on the vine,

Strong majestic Georgia pines;

Rocking chairs and front yard swings,

Junebugs flying on a string;

Turnip greens and hot cornbread,

Coleslaw and barbecue;

Fried okra, fried corn,

fried green tomatoes,

Fried pies and pickles too.

There's ice cold tea that's syrupy sweet,

And cool, green grass beneath your feet;

Catfish nipping in the lake,

And fresh young boys on the make.

You'll see all these things

And much, much more,

In a way of life that I adore.




Copyright 2008 Patricia Neely-Dorsey
from Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life In Poems
BOOK AVAILABLE: www.reeds.ms/book.asp
or http://www.amazon.com/




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing so wonderfully with your readers about my "little book of southern poems".
It is greatly appreciated.
I look forward to your review.

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

I've just given you an award for being one of the most Heartfelt bloggers out there! Here's the link to the post, and your award :

http://fallingofftheshelf.blogspot.com/2009/06/heartfelt-award.html